Re: Suggestion:flavors of Linux RAID

"Forge 2000" <forge@xxxxxxx> writes:

> > Just a suggestion.  When one claims that the HPT370 or Promise FastTrak
> > is "software RAID" its not entirely true, but neither is it valid to
> > call it "hardware RAID".
>
> It is entirely true. Promise and HighpointTech provide absolutely no
> hardware RAID functions. These chips provide only an additional plain IDE
> controller and a BIOS-visible boot point. Absolutely all RAID functions are
> performed by the CPU and the CPU alone, therefore calling it 'hardware
> assisted RAID' is even less correct than calling it 'bootable software
> RAID'.

He didn't call it hardware assisted raid.  All he said was it is not
entirely true that it is (pure) software raid.  There is a separate
controller (this is called "hardware").  Whether it uses the CPU or
has its own CPU is another matter, and is usually irrelevant to the
questions that people post here.

Let's stop quibbling over trivial details of what to call this or
that.  IT DOESN'T MATTER.  When someone posts a question and states
what kind of RAID controller they are using, that's all we need to
know - it wastes everybody's time debating semantics or "correcting"
people.

I look forward to a higher signal-to-noise ratio on this list.

Eric