Re: RH 7.2 install with HPT370A, kernel module?

Please only answer to the list, OK? It confuses my email client (i.e. me).

At 1/30/2002 12:19 AM +0200, you wrote:
> During the install, did it only show you 1 disk? Was that /dev/sda?

No, it showed both drives - /dev/hde and /dev/hdg although in HPT BIOS it is
made RAID1.

The kernel has not detected your controller as a RAID controller but rather as a simple EIDE controller. Thus you are not going to get hardware RAID anytime soon.

> Did you use that customized boot disk?

I believed the Abit story on their web, that RedHat 7.1 needs additional
drivers, but RedHat 7.2 has built-in driver.

What Abit story on their web? I got the latest Abit BIOS update (which still isn't recent enough), but then the drivers for RedHat posted on Highpoint's site are *excellent*. Seriously.

7.2 *does* have a built-in driver for this controller, which is why your drives are working. :) However, that built-in driver is for IDE functions, not RAID functions. For that you need the Highpoint driver.

What board are you using, and what version of the HPT-370 BIOS does it have?

So, now I only have remote access to this server, but I still
need to put disks into mirror without losing any data. How?

I'd say you're SOL for the moment. Perhaps a way to temporarily save yourself is to do software RAID-1 with the Linux tools for a while; then, when you get local access to the box and can try to update to the Highpoint kernel, you can retry using the HPT-370 RAID functions.

-- Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz@xxxxxxxxxxxx