Re: FastTrack 100 'Lite' problems

Hi, Arjan!

/Tue, 29 Jan 2002 13:46:53 -0500/ you wrote:

 >> When I connect IDE drives to 'usual' (not raid) chanels of motherboard
 >> and try to boot linux kernel I have 2 problems:
 >>
 >> 1. Kernel detects ataraid (I think it shouldn't on this chanel):
 >>
 >>   ataraid/d0: ataraid/d0p1 ataraid/d0p2 ataraid/d0p3
 >> Drive 0 is 19623 Mb (34 / 0)
 >> Drive 1 is 19623 Mb (34 / 64)
 >> Raid0 array consists of 2 drives.

AvdV> Well you have to remember that this is software raid. And you have a valid
AvdV> raid superblock on your disks, so it's just raid as far as the driver is
AvdV> converned. Is this a bug? I tend to think not. It would mean that if your
AvdV> controller dies and you move your disks to another machine, you would no
AvdV> longer be able to get to your data. For software raid, that's not really
AvdV> acceptable.......

I just want to have usual ide drives (not raid). I thought it
is possible by plugging them into 'non-raid' channels.
FastTrack bios says "No array is detected" but pdcraid driver detects
the array. I think there is some discrepancy here.
Is it impossible to have both array and usual drives on the same
box ?

And what about my fix. Is it right ?

--
Best regards,