Re: Any distro install guide

> On Sat, 2001-11-24 at 17:38, Forge XP wrote:
> > Proceeding on that assumption, I've found a good way to get (I believe)
any
> > distro onto an ataraid:
> >
> > VMware.
>
> Have you tested this?  I've seen NT and 2000 crash with blue screens
> rather than allow a program direct access to the hard disk.

Sometimes they BSOD, sometimes they silently ignore MBR changes, once in a
while it works. Scratch that plan, please, sorry for wasting everyone's
time.

> Also, wouldn't you need to insert the ataraid kernel modules within that
> virtual Linux session in order to properly install LILO or GRUB onto the
> RAID array?

Well, yes. You'd need to compile an ataraid ready kernel to reboot into, and
you'd need to use the patched lilo or grub, of course.

Anybody here like Debian? Nice open boot floppy model to follow, ought to be
quite possible to get together working ataraid floppies.

http://www.digitaltux.com for examples of custom Debian floppy mangles.
Seeing as they're mostly kernel substitutions, we should be able to mangle
in a 2.4.* with ataraid, maybe? I know the XFS floppies are using 2.4.3-XFS.