Re: Any distro install guide

On Sat, 2001-11-24 at 17:38, Forge XP wrote:
> Proceeding on that assumption, I've found a good way to get (I believe) any
> distro onto an ataraid:
>
> VMware.
>
> Here's a quick and dirty overview, I'll fill in more details as I can get
> them together, assuming there's interest as well.
>
> 5. Leave LILO on the virtual machine's MBR, but put GRUB on the real MBR
> from inside the VM.
> 6. Boot into the ataraid-ready distro, fine tune GRUB config, fstab, etc.
> 7. Use the VM config as an emergency Linux recovery method.
>
> Sound good? Any criticism/comments? Anybody want to help document a HOWTO?
>
> Rich 'Forge' Mingin
> Open Source Advocate
> Linux Addict
> Tribes 2/Quake 3/RTCW junkie
> Forge on http://www.tech-report.com

Have you tested this?  I've seen NT and 2000 crash with blue screens
rather than allow a program direct access to the hard disk. Windows 2000
crashed on me with some kind of hardware protection message when I
attempted to install LILO into the real MBR from within Linux/VMWare.

Also, wouldn't you need to insert the ataraid kernel modules within that
virtual Linux session in order to properly install LILO or GRUB onto the
RAID array?