What is ataraid ?

Hello everybody,

I’d like to ask something that you may find stupid. Certainly the author of the code (Arjan van de Ven, that I warmly thank by the way) could answer this, although other may also know the answer.

I have read the code of the “ataraid” project, and I would like you to check my understanding of it.

We could say that it offers a *software* RAID layer, compatible both with the Promise and the HighPoint hardware RAID implementations. But it does not make use of those hardware implementations.

It works roughly like this :

- it offers the required interface for managing a new “ataraid” block device

- it translates requests on this “ataraid” block device queue into ide (ATA) requests to the disks composing the array.

Is this right ?

Thanks for your answers.