Installation disks [Was: Re: Install Redhat 7.2 with HPT 370]

Hi, all!

This is a dirty hack, but it worked for me installing Debian/woody.
Make your normal installation floppies, but before you write them to floppys, mount the floppy image loopback and copy the initrd image somewhere on your hd
(obviously, you'll need another linux box to do this :)). now gunzip the image and mount the resulting file loopback, too. It should contain a filesystem
image, which you'll need to mount as well. Now change to the dev directory _of this image_ (not /dev!!) and do the following:

rm hde*
for i in `seq 1 15`; do mknod hde${i} block 114 $i; done
mknod hde block 114 0

Now umount the filesystem, gzip the initrd image, copy it back onto the mounted floppy image, umount the floppy image, dd it on a floppy. You should be able
to partition /dev/hde from the installer and install to /dev/hdex. Before rebooting after the install, make the device files in /dev/ataraid and modify the
fstab to reflect the changes. You'll still need to install a patched version of lilo, if you want to boot from the raid.

Hope this works for you, YMMV, etc.
  --Chris