Re: Install Redhat 7.2 with HPT 370

----- Original Message -----
From: "oogie" <oogie@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <ataraid-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, October 29, 2001 11:11 AM
Subject: Install Redhat 7.2 with HPT 370

> How do I install redhat 7.2 with HPT 370 IDE RAID on 0?
> I am talking about fresh install.

Step 1)
You must install it onto a non-RAID drive.  To our knowledge it isn't
possible to create a driver disk for direct installation from the CD due to
a limitation within the Anaconda installer of RH 7.2.
Step 2)
Upgrade your kernel.  You *should* be able to make the Red Hat rawhide
kernels work, but I haven't been able to get them to boot.  I couldn't get
custom built kernel modules within an initrd image to work either.  The only
way I could boot off of the ATARAID device was compiling ataraid and pdcraid
into the kernel itself (monolithic).  Well, I have Promise instead of
FastTrak, so you would need to include the hptraid instead of pdcraid.
Step 3)
Create your partitions on the /dev/ataraid/d0 device.  Use the appropriate
mke2fs commands.  The -j option will create an ext3 journal.
Step 4)
Copy everything over to the new partiions.
Step 5)
Modify your /etc/fstab if necessary.  Change all references from anything
/dev/hda to the appropriate /dev/ataraid/d0 partition.
Step 6)
Install GRUB or the specially patched LILO on /dev/ataraid/d0.  You will
have to edit the settings appropriately to point to /dev/ataraid/d0 instead
of /dev/hda.