Re: Status of everything?

On Thu, Oct 04, 2001 at 11:35:54PM -0400, Rich 'Forge' Mingin -2KAS wrote:
> I was just about to upgrade to a 3ware Escalade card to get my disk I/O
> sped up, but I found out 3ware has basically killed the Escalade line,
> as of a few days ago. This leaves me with three options:
>
> 1. SCSI
> 2. IDE Raid stuff
> 3. Suffering on
>
> I'd really like to go on with #2.
>
> Basically, what IDE RAID controllers are currently supported/working?
> I've heard that the Promise Supertrak is, although unsupported, fully
> hardware and OS transparent.

Modern 2.4 kernels should just work with it, as it's an I2O device. Having
said that, Promise seems to change the firmware once in a while and I've
heard rumours that latest firmware is broken so that i2o doesn't work.

> Failing that, I'd like to use a Fasttrak
> TX4 or so, and failing that, a Fasttrak100. I currently have Debian
> Unstable installed on an Ultra100, and I'd prefer to get the new disk
> subsystem running and move over, if at all possible.

Fasttrak support is improving but still very experimental.
If it's a production server, linux softwareraid might be a good alternative
for your problem.

Greetings,
   Arjan van de Ven