Event naming conventions

On Mon, Oct 21, 2013 at 4:16 AM, Daniel Jenkins <dan.jenkins88 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 21, 2013 at 6:15 AM, Paul Belanger
> <paul.belanger at polybeacon.com> wrote:
>>
>> So I am starting to work with ARI events and notice our naming
>> conventions are not consistent.  I wanted to have a discussion about
>> maybe coming up with an ideal suffix and stick with it.
>>
>> For example, we have
>>
>> StasisStart
>> StasisEnd
>>
>> PlaybackStarted
>> PlaybackFinished
>>
>> BridgeCreated
>> ChannelStateChange
>>
>> As you can see, we are no consistent, the majority of the events end
>> with 'ed', which is fine it indicates past tense.  So, we we want to
>> continue with that theme, then all events should be referred to as
>> past tense.
>>
>> Additionally, Stasis and Playback events have 2 different toggles
>> (StasisEnd and PlaybackFinished) again, I don't see a need for 2
>> different end conventions. Something like:
>>
>> Started / Stopped
>>
>> is better with 'ed'. But finished works well too.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>>
>> --
>> Paul Belanger | PolyBeacon, Inc.
>> Jabber: paul.belanger at polybeacon.com | IRC: pabelanger (Freenode)
>> Github: https://github.com/pabelanger | Twitter:
>> https://twitter.com/pabelanger
>>

> On that note though, should we make this consistent with the AMI? Or is
> there even any connection at all?
>
> https://wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/AST/AMI+1.4+Specification
>
> I know that the DTMF event changed to DTMFBegin and DTMFEnd.... and the same
> for Dial... So these aren't past tense...but then I know there are AMI
> events which are past tense i think...
>
> I like the idea of past tense consistency but is there anything we can
> learn/take from AMI to make "Asterisk" consistent with itself?
>
> But +1 in general

Ya, like I said inconsistent. Adding AMI events into the picture makes
it even worst, since they are in the present tense.

--
Paul Belanger | PolyBeacon, Inc.
Jabber: paul.belanger at polybeacon.com | IRC: pabelanger (Freenode)
Github: https://github.com/pabelanger | Twitter: https://twitter.com/pabelanger

[Index of Archives]     [Asterisk SS7]     [Asterisk Announcements]     [Asterisk Users]     [PJ SIP]     [Linux ARM Kernel]     [Linux ARM]     [Linux Omap]     [Fedora ARM]     [IETF Annouce]     [Security]     [Bugtraq]     [Linux]     [Linux OMAP]     [Linux MIPS]     [ECOS]     [Linux API]