Re: Proposal about AUR affairs

Hello,

> That's precisely why I think we should use an existing implementation
> if we were to use this at all, e.g. GitLab. I don't know any
> implementations that only adds threading and nothing else.

Again, at this point you are better off merging the AUR into the
official repositories and running it alpine style, because its
pointless pushing the AUR to Gitlab and then it not having the same
level of support as the other repositories on Gitlab. I sure for many,
this sounds like an amazing idea, but I am also sure for many as well,
this sounds horrific.

We are maintaining a single build script, per repository, you do not
need the latest git frontend to manage this, we aren't managing a huge
single codebase, but lots of small repositories. Filtering through
issues and pull requests would be a pain.

What you are suggesting is abandoning AURweb and simply integrating
everything into Gitlab, which I am sure for staff this might be
convenient.

Also Gitlab is far the the lightest, would it be able to take the
burden of so many users?

> On notifications, I'm pretty sure the default notification setting is
> to receive all issues as notifications for repositories you've
> created and all activity for issues you've created. There wouldn't
> any more problem with setting up notifications than what we already
> have.

It is not the notifications I worry about, it is having to go to issues
on every single repository, and read each issue individually, which is
probably going to be a ton of "bump the package" demands, instead of
something actually useful. And then pull requests... and then
potentially emails because, believe it or not, people still like using
email.

I have seen many people pushing their packages to Github/Gitlab, and I
pushed mine to gitea for a good 6 or so months to try it out. Unless a
rule is passed which prevents you from doing this, I do not see why
AURweb can't be preserved for those who like it, and then people to use
Github/Gitlab or whatever they want if it floats their boat.

Like I said, if AURweb is to go, then whats next? the mailing lists?
IRC? It feels like a witch hunt right now to see what to replace next,
how many people actually want their workflow changes? I doubt many.

> I was following this thread and I just have enough time to say that I
> am totally agree with Polarian. Even comments are not required if you
> don't need others to necessarily read your words to maintainer. Just
> email him! It will be threaded by your mail server automatically.

This was not the message I was trying to get across. The one downside
with email is that it is between you and the maintainer of the package,
others are not able to see and comment.

Comments allow for anyone to see, well the comment you wanted to make.
This could be a diff to fix a problem, or to point an issue, or to
simply discuss how to do something, its multi-purpose and this makes it
easy to manage.

However some, including me, prefer to email. Email is an amazing tool
which so many people seem to be dropping for instant messaging, but
instant messaging was never designed to convey enough information to be
worthwhile. I have always found emails to be more descriptive and more
thought out rather than a message someone spent 30 seconds typing,
which is why it is a shame that I rarely see anyone asking for review
on PKGBUILDs within aur-general anymore, when I first joined this was
common place...

I would like to point out that it appears we are going in a circle of
saying the same opinion over and over again and not getting anywhere. I
have suggested threads as a possible improvement to AURweb to make it
more convenient without blowing the cap off with features which are
overkill for the maintaining of a single build script.

At the end of the day, it is up to the opinion of the majority, and
ultimately the developers and staff which would have to implement the
changes which are requested. If people simply think I am being rigid
and refusing to change for the better, then sure one person shouldn't
hold things back. But I find it very hard to believe that everyone in
the community would be willing to axe AURweb.

Maybe I am wrong, but that is just my opinion :)

Take care,
--
Polarian
GPG signature: 0770E5312238C760