Re: Arch Linux Questions

(Just realized that for some reason, Mutt keeps sending emails to the
user rather than the mailing list.)

1. If you mean "free" as in "gratis", then yes.
Both free as in libre and proprietary as in, well, proprietary are
available free of charge in the repositories, although the AUR might
include shareware from time to time.
And with the exception of Red Hat Enterprise Linux, nobody in the
GNU/Linux world is going to make you pay for the operating system, which
wouldn't even make sense, because you can usually as well just get the
more superior upstream distro for free, which again with the exception
of RHEL, all independent distro's are.

2. As I said earlier, the GNU link I sent you last time has all the
answers.
After all, Richard Stallman has been fighting for software freedom since
1985, which is probably before most of us are even born.

But to explain in a brief concept, when comparing free vs proprietary
software, nobody cares whether it's paid or not, you can have paid free
software, and free of charge proprietary software.
This is just a misconception due to how the English language works,
where freedom and free of charge are bundled into 1 word, which results
in rather awkward moments when westerners decide to use Google Translate
to know what "free" is in Japanese, they get "無料" (no cost), and put
this as a tatoo.
The actual word they meant is "自由" (freedom), btw.
Communist millenials and zoomers take advantage of this misconception,
which makes it even funnier.

What it means is rather:
Freedom 0: The freedom to use the program for any purpose.
Freedom 1: The freedom to study how the program works, and change it to make it do what you wish.
Freedom 2: The freedom to redistribute and make copies so you can help your neighbor.
Freedom 3: The freedom to improve the program, and release your improvements (and modified versions in general) to the public, so that the whole community benefits.

So to simplify, free software means the user has full control over the
software, is able to fix problems themselves without having to harrass
technical support for every tiny problem, and can copy, modify, and
share the code without fearing any legal consequences.
Or even simpler: free software means that the user controls the program,
not the other way around.

Some real world examples of programs controlling the user:
* Windows 11 gets updated, which performs a complete re-install of the
OS, whether the user likes it or not. Better yet, the user can no longer
use the PC they have bought unless they create a Microsoft account.
* Steam decided to force Windows users to downgrade from Windows 7 to 10
or 11, or get their entire game library which they have paid for taken
away from them.
* Apple decides to artificially boost battery usage of older iPhone
models via OTA updates to force you into buying the latest model.