Re: System is randomly freezing, would like troubleshooting help

On Sun, Apr 09, 2023 at 07:07:39 -0400, Genes Lists wrote:
> On 4/8/23 19:55, Luna Celeste wrote:
>
> Sounds very annoying

You have no idea.

>   Couple of thoughts:
>
>    - does the system journal reveal anything? If not it seems less like a
> kernel crash and more like graphics type hangs - good to avoid any nvidia
> drivers. Not just kernel but 'other processes' - journal --since -1h or
> whatever.

There's nothing in any of the logs. Nothing in dmesg, nothing in
journalctl. The system works fine, hangs, I reboot it, and the next
messages I see are the system booting. This is an AMD machine with no
NVIDIA hardware / software whatsoever. Unlike in Jonas's case, my
capslock does not flash when the machine hangs--unless this is something
that only happens a few times immediately after a crash.

>    - Can you keep a remote ssh from another computer - and when hang
occurs > is the remote ssh also dead or just the console/monitor
keyboard?

I almost always have a mosh connection from my laptop to the Linux
machine, and it too hangs. I've gotten disappointingly familiar with
mosh's blue/white "can't reach remote machine" message.

>    - Definitely worth checking memtest86+ as well as smarctl test your
> disk(s). While bad mem is possible your symptoms dont seem quite consistent
> with that - i'd check anyway.

This was one of the first things I tried! I've run both the proprietary
and the open source versions and both show no errors. Beyond this, the
system is using ECC memory, so I would expect to see checksum errors or
the like in the logs, but again, nothing. I've also checked smartctl,
and again nothing. Also, as I said, I'm running ZFS (and only ZFS), and
I would expect it to tell me that there are checksum errors *long*
before smartctl shows anything.

>    - is your CPU AMD? Can you turn off sleep and see if it makes a
> difference - there were some issues with s2idle and AMD, though I thought
> the were worked around/fixed back in 6.1. Also is your bios fully up to
> date?

As said above, yes, the CPU is AMD, but I wasn't clear in my original
message, I'm sorry. *Only* the display is sleeping. I do not have any
other power saving measures configured. And, even if that was the case,
my research shows that the AMD s2idle bug was fixed in 5.15. This
machine is running 6.2.10. I'm not sure about the BIOS, will have to
check that.

Thank you everyone for helping me dig into this. It has been quite
frustrating! I am thoroughly out of ideas, so anything helps.

--
Cheers,
Luna Celeste