Re: System is randomly freezing, would like troubleshooting help

On Sun, Apr 9, 2023 at 8:08 AM Genes Lists <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 4/8/23 19:55, Luna Celeste wrote:
>
> Sounds very annoying
>
>    Couple of thoughts:

In my case:

>     - does the system journal reveal anything? If not it seems less like
> a kernel crash and more like graphics type hangs - good to avoid any
> nvidia drivers. Not just kernel but 'other processes' - journal --since
> -1h or whatever.

The journal is clean, and there's the blinking Caps Lock. So it
definitely looks like a crash.

>     - Can you keep a remote ssh from another computer - and when hang
> occurs is the remote ssh also dead or just the console/monitor keyboard?

I actually tried that, but the SSH shell closes before the crash
happens. No additional information is gained even if it's running
dmesg --follow.

>     - Definitely worth checking memtest86+ as well as smarctl test your
> disk(s). While bad mem is possible your symptoms dont seem quite
> consistent with that - i'd check anyway.

Didn't recently check for bad mem. Like you already implied, it would
be unexpected for it to only cause issues during suspend, but I'll add
it to my to-do list anyway. SMART is clear.

That said, the firmware in this laptop has some issues: it
occasionally (but only very rarely) causes unrelated hangups in both
Linux and Windows.

>     - is your CPU AMD? Can you turn off sleep and see if it makes a
> difference - there were some issues with s2idle and AMD, though I
> thought the were worked around/fixed back in 6.1. Also is your bios
> fully up to date?

Intel. Fully up to date BIOS.

Will add disabling s2idle to my to-do list as well, just in case.

Thanks,
Jonas