Re: System is randomly freezing, would like troubleshooting help

On Sat, Apr 8, 2023 at 8:56 PM Luna Celeste <luna@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I have a System76 Thelio machine running Arch (fully up to date as of a
> few hours ago today). For quite a while now (at least a few months),
> it's been randomly hanging. I've configured the system to provide a
> crash dump per the Kdump wiki page, but whenever I reboot it after one
> of these hangs (or use the sysrq crash key), there is no /proc/vmcore
> file, and there's nothing in the logs. As you can understand, this makes
> troubleshooting difficult.
>
> In addition to this, I've not been able to identify many common factors
> of the hangs. The only thing that seems to be consistent is that most of
> the hangs occur when the system puts the display to sleep. But even this
> isn't consistent; today's hang occurred while the display was active
> (though I turned off the monitor).

Hi Luna,

I've been having what appears to be the same issue, but on a Dell
Inspiron 7572. When it happens, I also see a blinking Caps Lock
(indicating a kernel panic) just a few seconds after suspending or
turning off the screen. Does this detail match as well?

In my case, not using the coretemp driver seemed to help for a while,
and there was a patch on the HWMON list that I was hoping would solve
the issue for good.[1] Unfortunately I just saw that the patch has
been in the Arch kernel for a few versions already, and yesterday I
started having these issues again (after ~5 months).

But it also turns out that I never actually blocklisted coretemp back
in November, and in the past few days I've been leaving btop open,
which also reads from coretemp (if available). So there's still some
correlation... and for the lack of a better idea, I've now blocklisted
coretemp, and will see if that makes a difference over the next few
days/weeks. Maybe you can try doing the same, if you're also on Intel.

[1]: https://lore.kernel.org/linux-hwmon/20230103114620.15319-1-janusz.krzysztofik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/

Cheers,
Jonas