Re: Can not build arch v6.2.* linux. Does that much swap space required?

Ralf Mardorf <ralf-mardorf@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, 2023-04-03 at 10:37 +0000, u34@xxxxxxx wrote:
> > I did nothing to make it use tmpfs. Should I explicitly take some actions
> > to get it outside of tmpfs?
>
> Hi,
>
> no you don't need to take any action.
>
> I suspect my other idea to disable tmpfs entirely is entirely idiotic.
>
> $ df -h | grep tmpfs
> tmpfs            16G     0   16G   0% /dev/shm
> tmpfs            16G  8.0K   16G   1% /tmp
> tmpfs           3.2G   64K  3.2G   1% /run/user/1000
>                       ^^^^Used^
> Disabling tmpfs would probably even not really free those 72K.
>
> If you should share RAM for the framebuffer, reducing the framebuffer
> size might make a difference.
>
> I can't comment on "tinyconfig" or "localmodconfig", but this is what I
> would try.

Hello,
I could compile tinyconfig. With localmodconfig, it seems to get nowhwre.
I added a lot of swap sapce, more then my total RAM. It seems to use only
a tiny part of the swap addition. I don't know what it was exactly doing.
I won't be surprised if it mostly transfered data from swap to RAM and vice
versa. Doing negliable work, if at all, while swaping in and out.

I hope the most beneficial item of this message is to mention the 6GB at
the URL in the reply of Damjan Georgievski.
https://lists.archlinux.org/archives/users/80dccca1a3964851a69e37d36e681a00/
-> https://www.phoronix.com/news/Linux-6.3-objtool . Though I don't know
how much more, or less, than 6GB will be actually required to compile linux
for, and on, a low end desktop.

--
u34