Re: thunar reporting no gvs on wayland/wayfire

On 3/1/23 00:36, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
Hi,

yes, I'm using the terminal as well
as https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/spacefm, but seldom another GUI
FM.

However, IMO gvfs always was a PITA.

$ pacman -Qi gvfs
Name            : gvfs
Version         : 2013.08.18-1
Description     : Dummy package
[snip]
Required By     : caja  evince  nautilus  nemo
[snip]
Build Date      : Sun 18 Aug 2013 18:06:40 CEST

Initially the main reason for me to build an empty dummy package, to
fulfil unnecessary hard dependencies against gvfs was an issue with a
green drive. After the green drive goes asleep and parks the heads, gvfs
immediately wakes up the drive, hence the heads spin down and up again
and again. This does damage the drive. After removing gvfs this doesn't
happen anymore, excepted after using a burning tool named k3b.

Meanwhile I don't care much about the green drive anymore, but still
dislike gvfs for its clumsiness.

Regards,
Ralf

Ohh, well, for some reason, although installed, it's not getting recognized by anything other than nautilus on my side, :(

I guess I might care less, except that I'm looking for something that it's not just useful for me, but for other users as well.  Actually I barely use a gui file manager, but it's convenient when dealing with mounting as user partitions, remote FSs, and removable media with encryption.  Part of it might be covered by udiskie, though I haven't tried it on Wayland, and the rest with autofs, or systemd, but I prefer the automatic /run/user/<uuid> way if I can, even for remote FSs...

At any rate, did you have to do something special for gvfs to be recognized by those non nautilus file managers?  Or how did you make nautilus work properly (assuming you have HiDPI screen, ans assuming you're not using gnome, neither kde)?

In my case:

% printenv | 'grep' GDK
GDK_DPI_SCALE=1.5
GDK_BACKEND=wayland

% printenv | 'grep' GTK
GTK_THEME=Materia-dark
GTK_CSD=1

And also I' executing:

% cat .local/bin/wayland_gtk_theme.sh
#!/usr/bin/bash

# usage: import-gsettings
config="${XDG_CONFIG_HOME:-$HOME/.config}/gtk-3.0/settings.ini"
if [ ! -f "$config" ]; then exit 1; fi

gnome_schema="org.gnome.desktop.interface"

gtk_theme="$(grep 'gtk-theme-name' "$config" | sed 's/.*\s*=\s*//')"
icon_theme="$(grep 'gtk-icon-theme-name' "$config" | sed 's/.*\s*=\s*//')"
cursor_theme="$(grep 'gtk-cursor-theme-name' "$config" | sed 's/.*\s*=\s*//')"
font_name="$(grep 'gtk-font-name' "$config" | sed 's/.*\s*=\s*//')"

gsettings set "$gnome_schema" color-scheme "prefer-dark"
gsettings set "$gnome_schema" gtk-theme "$gtk_theme"
gsettings set "$gnome_schema" icon-theme "$icon_theme"
gsettings set "$gnome_schema" cursor-theme "$cursor_theme"
gsettings set "$gnome_schema" font-name "$font_name"

gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.wm.preferences button-layout "appmenu:minimize,maximize,close"

BTW, I doesn't bother me much, but the cursor I have in settings.ini is not getting recognized, and the adwaita one is used...

What it looked to me, is that gtk4 apps are not recognizing GTK_CSD, and that no file manger other than nautilus is actually recognizing gvfs.  To me that's not the end of the world, but as mentioned, I'm looking for a way for gui users can have an easy and familiar way to deal with FSs and files in general...

At any rate, I haven't ever tried spaceFM, it might be the wayland way, hehe.  I'll have to try it I guess.

--
Javier