Re: English language differences

Hello,

You sound offended, so I would like to highlight I was not referring to you in any way being a US citizen.

Here's a fresh idea: how about if we all just decide to get along? I'm
a U.S. citizen, but I'm perfectly happy with British spellings. Most
things are reasonably understandable regardless. Some things, like
"pants", "trousers" and such are confusing, since Americans and Brits
mean different things when they say them. But "color" and "colour" mean
the same thing no matter which side of the Atlantic you prefer.

I do not think the ArchWiki speaks about trousers/pants so I think we are good there, but the issue is you might not care, but some people do, like I highlighted in a previous response on this thread.

People do intentionally go out of their way to "correct your spelling" even though it is correct, for your nationality. I would rather not have spelling wars, and just get on with writing ArchWiki pages.

The cited paragraph is principally a recommendation, not a mandate.
Follow the recommendation. If the page is already British English, do
that. New pages, do as you like.

What if the pages contain both British and American spellings, what do i do then?

Again, all due respect to the O.P., this is a silly problem. Those who
feel offended by spellings from the other side of the Atlantic should
really seek something more important (world hunger? crime?) to winge
about. Did you folks know that Google/Facebook/Apple spy on you? Worry
about that.

Unfortunately, as much as I would like to say this problem is silly, it really is not. There is genuinely a lot of people out there who take spelling very seriously, either to be an ass or because they are way too patriotic to their nationality that they feel the need to push it onto everyone else around them.

To sum up this thread, so that others subscribed to this list do not contemplate unsubscribing, I am correct in assuming that in most cases it does not matter what spellings you use as long as it is clearly understandable by ALL English speakers, both American, European and Asian?

Also as the for "lets all get along" comment, if only this was possible, all world issues could be solved at that point, unfortunately this will never happen, and there will always be a select few which do not want to get along, its life!

Thanks for the advice,
--
Polarian
GPG signature: 0770E5312238C760