Re: English language differences

Hello,

Thanks for the link, the following applies to this conversation:

"ArchWiki prefers no national variety of English over any other, adopting the same guidelines outlined in Wikipedia:Wikipedia:Manual of Style#National varieties of English; in case of conflict with any of ArchWiki's other explicitly defined guidelines, ArchWiki's prevail. When writing new content within an existing article it is recommended to maintain the spelling convention already prevalent in it; if the article does not have a clear prevalent spelling, write accordingly to the variant used in the edited section. Harmonizing the spelling around the edited content is acceptable, however refrain from performing edits whose main purpose is changing or harmonizing the spelling standard of articles or series thereof."

However, the issue with this is that it does not clear anything up for me, it is basically just telling me to stick to one standard depending on the page, but what if the page has two different spellings?!?!?

And what happens if some asshole comes along and decides to translate the entire page?

I do not find this section helpful, as it is open to interpretation, and "refraining" from stupid edits does not solve the issue too.

Do I intentionally write in US english as I have been doing, so that my wiki pages are better for the wider audience, or should I stop caring so much and just write with whatever spelling (in my case UK english), but what if that causes conflictions with others?

I feel like I am trying to evaluate a complex subject, to get it down to a simple boolean answer, but in my case, I need to know EXACTLY what I should/should not do, and not have it left up to interpretation, otherwise the uncertainty will make me uncomfortable (Autistic trait sorry).

Thanks for the advice,
--
Polarian
GPG signature: 0770E5312238C760