Re: Setting up new computer to be identical to old one

On Sun, 30 Oct 2022 15:10:59 +0100, Merlin Büge wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sun, 30 Oct 2022 11:42:24 +0000, Spencer Collyer wrote:
> > My initial idea was something like the following:
> >
> > 1) Install a basic Arch system on the new computer
> > 2) Get the list of installed packages from the old computer (I think
> > there is a way to do this using Pacman?) 3) Somehow get Pacman to
> > install the same list of packages on the new computer.
>
> For 2) and 3) see 2.5 and 2.6 here:
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Pacman/Tips_and_tricks
>

> > 4) Tidy up any
> > config files that need changing - e.g. for the aforementioned IP
> > address / computer name stuff.
>
> To list modified config files, you can use:
>
> pacman -Qii | awk '/^MODIFIED/ {print $2}'
>
> Besides the network config, hostname and UUIDs probably also change,
> so watch out for that e.g. in custom backup scripts etc.
>
> You may also want to check/migrate all unowned files (not tracked by
> the package manager):
>
> pacreport --unowned-files
>

> > 5) Copy over my /home directory
>
> If you have the time and care, instead of copying the entire /home,
> you could manually copy the contents and decide what you want to
> keep. You may want to omit ~/.cache and some configuration dotfiles
> in ~ or ~/.config that you don't need anymore.
>

> I would also keep the old drive around for some time in case you
> notice that you forgot something...
>

> Good luck!

Thanks for the input Merlin. Some good stuff there that I wasn't aware
of before - I really need to look more into what pacman and related
systems can do.

The old computer will definitely be kept around for some time while I
get comfortable with the new one.

Regards,

Spencer