Re: We have lost the desktop war. The reason? Windows 7.

Aaron Griffin wrote:

> You read my mind. I was debating adding a little rant here about the
> necessity of hal, consolekit, policykit, devicekit,
> whatever-the-hellkit to do the stupidest things. It's real
> counter-intuitive. And don't even get me started about linux audio -
> apparently the core market for linux audio developers are people doing
> live, realtime, studio recordings with a line-in jack on a laptop[1] -
> not the people who just want their machine to beep at them.

I absolutely positively hate that all this shit is getting integrated
into the lower level portions of the operating environment. The
xorg/hal coupling is gross and disgusting if you don't want or need
hal. Soon enough, I'll bet udev and devicekit are going to require
each other. When this starts to happen, it's time to stop using this
crap

cat  /var/abs/extra/xorg-server/PKGBUILD
8<--
              --enable-config-hal \
      	      --enable-config-dbus \
-->8

cat /var/abs/extra/qt/PKGBUILD
8<--
	patch -p1 -i $srcdir/kde-qt-${_kdeqtver}.patch || return 1
-->8

cat /var/abs/extra/cups/PKGBUILD
8<--
     --enable-dbus
-->8

It's not like anyone but you is forcing those upon us, Aaron.

--
Arvid
Asgaard Technologies