Re: Can we use the "Firefox" name?

As a user, I really dislike the name Iceweasel... I really dislike its logo and so on... Please don't change it unless you have to..

Alper KANAT
http://raptiye.org

Alessio Bolognino yazmış:
On Wed 2008-06-11 05:46, Alessio 'mOLOk' Bolognino wrote:
There is a thing that I have never understood: we ship the Firefox
package not branded, for the well known issues with the licensing of the
artwork, and that's fine; but are we sure we can name that package
"firefox" ? If you ask it to me, I think we can not: Mike Connor (a Mozilla guy :) said here [1]: "Firefox (the name) is equally protected and controlled by the same trademark policy and legal requirements as the Firefox logo. You're free to use any other name for the browser bits, but calling the browser Firefox requires the same approvals as are required for using the logo and other artwork.
[...]
If you are going to use the Firefox name, you must also use the rest of the
branding."

Mozilla may say that we are "lying" to users, because the name is named
firefox, but it doesn't contain Firefox.

Discuss!

And I just found this old bug report:
http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/5795

I don't know why I missed it the first time I searched for it.