Re: Apache 2.x configuration for high load servers

I'm new to Apache & to my environment too.

We run 4 Apache V2.0.52 & I've seeing high load averages (of 3 to 13)
reported by "top" on the Linux RHES 4.6 for the 1, 5 & 15 minutes avgs
on 3 of our webservers.  All the servers' CPU are generally idle except
one webserver which sometimes hit 90-100% CPU utilization.

Our active F5 BIG-2400 LB had been setting 3 of the Apache servers as
"Down" frequently (like 5-30 times/day per websvr on various Apache tcp
ports, ie 80, 86, 443, 444 as shown by the LB's bigd logs).

I login to our LB (which run a customized BSD Unix) & found that whenever
the LB set an Apache server (which LB monitors using http every 5 secs
with 16 secs as timeout) as down, the 1 minute load average on the LB
itself would spike above 1 too (yes, I ran "top" on the LB's command line).
Perhaps I'll run tmstat on the LB as well tomorrow.

When the LB reported an Apache webserver as down, icmp ping from
the LB to the webserver still responds but "telnet websvr_IP port#"
would not respond.

Our network chaps had set the LB to use round-robin algorithm (was
previously & all these while BIG LB's special algorithm, don't know what
it was).  It stabilized for a few hours before the symptoms happen again.

Our webservers are all Proliant DL380 G4 dual processor with 2GB RAM.

This frequent "non-response" situation started around first week of May.
All these years, we used the same hardware with only minor changes
to the Apache (security patches) & never had this frequent flapping.

One thing I noted was the LB would flag out a message that it had
FAN 2 rotation error every 20 secs.  This fan error surfaced around
early Apr this year;  haven't manage to get downtime to replace yet.

Appreciate any inputs on what I can do other than upgrading the
hardware.  Let me know any prefork or any settings you would like
me to post here.  Honestly, I don't know how to obtain those prefork
& other settings you chaps have been discussing in this thread.

Sun