RE: Apache 2.x configuration for high load servers

#Increase this number.  The zombies you're seeing
#is every time an Apache child process dies.
#The child will die @1500.  We run at 20000 and are having no problems.
MaxRequestsPerChild   1500

#We don't run as hot as you (we average 3 hits/sec and max at like 15
#in a 24 hour period) but here's our settings:
StartServers	70
MinSpareServers	70
ServerLimit		364
MaxClients		364
MaxRequestsPerChild  20000

#Shrink the size of the response header:
ServerTokens Prod

#Defiantly want keepalive on, it will help page load time for customers.
#Everything else looks good.
Keepalive is on

#We have this turned on but we use server side includes SSI and we cache.
UseCanonicalName On

You have way too many modules enabled.  You need user_dir module?  Every module loaded takes up RAM.  You should be able to get the
"RES" RAM use per process down to under 20 MB unless you're doing something funky.

If you're finding that 80% of the time you're running 100 processes, then start that many and keep that many going.  We found that
the process that starts up new children takes too long and it was causing pages to hang while Apache started up new children.   So
just start as many as you need, even if a lot of them are just idle.

Couple of other tips:

1. Turn off the "access time" atime on your file system.  This will speed disk access a lot.

2. Using mod_file_cache on a big site is hard to get everyone on board for.  It's complicated and it's easy to cache the wrong
stuff.  However, with a bit of pain, there is a lot of gain to be had there in terms of reduced work load on the server and thus
faster page load times.  Suggest you bite the bullet and do it.  BTW, the CentOS rpm of Apache doesn't work with mod_file_Cahce.
Lots of bugs.  So have to compile from source on this.  We're on CentOS 5 too.

Lots of people will suggest the Worker MPM due to it's lower RAM usage however we haven't done it as the PHP web site speaks so
strongly against it.

Best,

Geoff Millikan @ http://www.t1shopper.com/