Re: question maybe conceptual on virtual hosting

On 05/13/2011 06:50 AM, David Mehler wrote:
Hello,
I've got a question on virtual hosts. I'm running httpd 2.2.3 on a
rhel5 machine. I believe from what I've read that when one sets up a
virtual host that the Listen and other directives in httpd.conf are no
longer valid.

Listen may only be used in the server context. It is invalid in a virtualhost context.

  FIrst of all, did I get that right? I've got a Listen
line in httpd.conf telling apache to listen to a single address,

Listen tells apache what PORT to listen on, first of all.
If your distro did not pre-set this (they did), set it to Listen 80 for normal HTTP. You may repeat it as often as required, for SSL (443), or per-IP (127.0.0.1:80) or any combination thereof.

  I've
also got a

<Directory />
Order Deny,Allow
Deny from all
Options none
AllowOverRide none
</Directory>

in that file as well as a block pointing to apache's document root
area. In my virtual host configuration file I've got the virtual host
set up with a different document root area, my question is is the
<Directory />  block from the httpd.conf file still propagated to the
virtual host configuration file or do I have to define that<Directory
/>  block in the virtual hosts as well? I hope that made sense.

No, do not repeat Directory /.
Yes, all settings that can be inherited, are inherited.

Thanks.
Dave.

Where is the conceptual question ?

--