Re: Upgrade 1.3.12 -> 2.2.16: Reverse Proxy issues [WAS: Jserv issue ???]

On 11.09.2010 04:12, Mike Schleif wrote:

On 9/10/2010 3:19 PM, Mike Schleif wrote:

 > On 9/10/2010 12:07 PM, Sander Temme wrote:
 > >
 > > On Sep 10, 2010, at 5:23 AM, Mike Schleif wrote:
 > >
 > >> SSL: move all SSL to the new frontend? No SSL running on legacy web
 > server?
 > >
 > > Absolutely. You'll find that Apache 2.2.16 comes with mod_ssl
 > bundled. Terminate SSL on the currently shipping server.
 > >
 > > Note that the Apache Software Foundation only ships source code: an
 > important distinction on a platform that doesn't bundle the web server
 > by default, and where users usually don't wield compilers. However, a
 > build with and without SSL enabled is usually made available as a
 > courtesy, and can be downloaded from
 > http://httpd.apache.org/download.cgi . You may also find Windows builds
 > on sites like http://www.apachelounge.com/ .
 > >
 > > S.
 >
 > Is there more to it than ProxyPass and ProxyPassReverse ?
 >
 > I found this:
 >
 > http://www.apachetutor.org/admin/reverseproxies
 >
 > I want this to work as simply as possible. I know that SSL moves to the
 > NEW server. Which modules need I load? According to the above link, I
 > think we need these:
 >
 > ### MUST have for Reverse Proxy
 > LoadModule proxy_module modules/mod_proxy.so
 > LoadModule proxy_http_module modules/mod_proxy_http.so
 > LoadModule headers_module modules/mod_headers.so
 > LoadModule deflate_module modules/mod_deflate.so
 > ###
 >
 > However, that link also mentions the following, which I do not find in
 > the httpd.conf:
 >
 > LoadFile /usr/lib/libxml2.so
 > LoadModule xml2enc_module modules/mod_xml2enc.so
 > LoadModule proxy_html_module modules/mod_proxy_html.so
 >

 > Please, advise. Thank you.

Still not certain whether or not we need the XML and HTML modules. Do we?

You don't need it in general. mod_proxy_html allows very powerful rewriting of e.g. links contained in the responses returned from the backend server. If the backend includes self-referential absolute links and you have to rewrite them to point to the proxy instead (fifferent name or different port), mod_proxy_html is very useful.

As long as the wrong URLs only occur in redirects, a simple ProxyPassReverse suffices. If you only want to replace very simple patterns in the content of the responses, mod_substitute might do, which is nowadays bundled with Apache 2.2.x.

Regards,

Rainer