Re: Upgrade 1.3.12 -> 2.2.16: Reverse Proxy issues [WAS: Jserv issue ???]

On 9/10/2010 3:19 PM, Mike Schleif wrote:

> On 9/10/2010 12:07 PM, Sander Temme wrote:
>  >
>  > On Sep 10, 2010, at 5:23 AM, Mike Schleif wrote:
>  >
>  >> SSL: move all SSL to the new frontend? No SSL running on legacy web
> server?
>  >
>  > Absolutely. You'll find that Apache 2.2.16 comes with mod_ssl
> bundled. Terminate SSL on the currently shipping server.
>  >
>  > Note that the Apache Software Foundation only ships source code: an
> important distinction on a platform that doesn't bundle the web server
> by default, and where users usually don't wield compilers. However, a
> build with and without SSL enabled is usually made available as a
> courtesy, and can be downloaded from
> http://httpd.apache.org/download.cgi . You may also find Windows builds
> on sites like http://www.apachelounge.com/ .
>  >
>  > S.
>
> Is there more to it than ProxyPass and ProxyPassReverse ?
>
> I found this:
>
> http://www.apachetutor.org/admin/reverseproxies
>
> I want this to work as simply as possible. I know that SSL moves to the
> NEW server. Which modules need I load? According to the above link, I
> think we need these:
>
> ### MUST have for Reverse Proxy
> LoadModule proxy_module modules/mod_proxy.so
> LoadModule proxy_http_module modules/mod_proxy_http.so
> LoadModule headers_module modules/mod_headers.so
> LoadModule deflate_module modules/mod_deflate.so
> ###
>
> However, that link also mentions the following, which I do not find in
> the httpd.conf:
>
> LoadFile /usr/lib/libxml2.so
> LoadModule xml2enc_module modules/mod_xml2enc.so
> LoadModule proxy_html_module modules/mod_proxy_html.so
>

> Please, advise. Thank you.

Still not certain whether or not we need the XML and HTML modules.  Do we?

We have used the above - without XML and HTML - and have the reverse proxy running. Testing will tell whether or not there are URL mapping issues ...

HOWEVER, we cannot get reverse proxy to work with SSL ?!?!

Port 80 works great, including redirecting.

Port 443 does NOT redirect.  NO SSL errors during startup.

Since, in principle reverse proxy solves our problem, there must be some technicality about introducing SSL into this system. I thought SSL would only be an issue between browser and the web server to which the browser directly connects. What am I missing?

Thank you.

If ever I can be of service to you; contact me at once.

I wish for you a truly extraordinary day ...

--
Best Regards,

Mike Schleif
612-235-6060