Re: how to make ErrorDocument apply to https:// site as well?

Thanks, I had actually just realized that might work :)

Yes, putting this into .htaccess does the trick:
***
<Files banned_ip.php>
allow from all
</Files>

ErrorDocument 403 /banned_ip.php
order deny,allow
deny from 71.112.32.149
***

Now the real question is why, for http requests, it allowed me to view the banned_ip.php error message, instead of saying that a 403 error occurred while trying to follow the ErrorDocument directive. Apparently Apache applies some different set of rules to the two situations, and I'll be damned if I can find anything in the documentation that says why the two cases would behave differently. For https requests, Apache applied the .htaccess restrictions to the file listed in the ErrorDocument directive, and for https requests it didn't.

        -Bennett

At 07:33 PM 7/25/2010, Eric Covener wrote:
> 2) in any case, if that is the cause, what would be the solution?

You put a <Files> section inside of a <Directory> section and allow
all IP addresses to access it (order deny,allow ; allow from all)

--
Eric Covener
covener@xxxxxxxxx