Re: how to make ErrorDocument apply to https:// site as well?

At 05:30 PM 7/25/2010, Eric Covener wrote:
> A little more potentially useful information:
> The 403 forbidden message that comes up when I try to access an https:// URL
> also says:
> "Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an
> ErrorDocument to handle the request."
>
> So apparently Apache is *applying* the ErrorDocument directive to https:// > requests, it's just not able to find the /banned_ip.php file when doing so.

No, not "not able to find".  How did you "ban" the IP

in /var/www/html/.htaccess

and how do you
expect Apache to be able to serve the errordocument for the banned IP?

Well, it works for http URLs -- when I go to this address from my home IP (which is in the "banned" list), I see the banned_ip page (note my browser does not get redirected, I stay on the URL below but I see the contents of banned_ip.php):
http://209.160.28.154/

I assume that what you're saying is basically: Since my .htaccess file denies access to my IP to any file underneath /var/www/html , why should I expect the server to be able to serve the contents of banned_ip.php to me, and isn't that probably why I'm getting the error for https:// URLs?

That makes sense, but:
1) like I said, it works for http URLs; and
2) in any case, if that is the cause, what would be the solution? Move banned_ip.php to a higher-level location like /var/www/banned_ip.php? The problem with that is that the path specified for ErrorDocument has to be relative to the DocumentRoot, which is /var/www/html . (And, putting "/../banned_ip.higher.php" in the ErrorDocument directive to jump one directory higher, does not work :) That just gives a 400 Bad Request error.)

> So since my directive says
> ErrorDocument 403 /banned_ip.php
> how come Apache can find that file when giving a 403 error in response to an
> https request, but not in response to an http request?

Maybe you punched a hole in your config to allow access to the file,
but only in the non-SSL vhost?

Unfortunately this is on a machine that's completely clean and I didn't make any other changes. So I don't know why Apache is able to serve /var/www/html/banned_ip.php in response to 403 errors generated by http requests but not https requests.

-Bennett