Re: Apache 1.3 OS X 10.4 help

On Feb 25, 2010, at 2:10 AM, Lester Caine wrote:

>> I'm saying your webpage is weird, can you explain why your links are
>> using the IP instead of the hostname?
>
> Jonathan ... Daniel is just trying to help Robert out.
> It is Robert that has the 'weird webpages', and I suspect is is because he is unable to view his pages locally because a third party is providing the dns mapping.

If I might step in here and cut through the noise ...

There's no mystery here at all. Let me explain what is happening.

You are using a web forwarding service. They are not a DNS mapper, or even a real forwarder. Instead, they are loading your website in a Frame set. You can see this quite clearly by going to http://isinglive.co.uk/ and viewing the source. Since your site is loading in a frame, when you set a bookmark it is not a bookmark for the content of the frame, but for the frame container.

The solution to this problem is to not use this forwarding service. It is not possible to do what you want while using a frame-based forwarding service.

As to why someone else was able to make bookmarks - that's simply because they're not looking at the same URL. Instead of looking at the top-frame container, they are looking at the frame content page.

Again, this is no mystery, and is a very common problem - even expected - with this type of forwarder.