Re: Apache vs LiteSpeed

On 15-Jan-2010, at 10:08, Jarrod Slick wrote:
> On Jan 15, 2010, at 11:03 AM, Eric Covener wrote:
>> On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 12:00 PM, Jarrod Slick <jarrod@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>> What about having a private VLAN between a testing machine and the apache
>>> machine.  I suppose that would solve the resource separation problem between
>>> the benchmarking tool and the web server.  Can you think of any problems
>>> with this type of setup?
>>
>> It doesn't model the traffic real clients would generate very well,
>> unless you expect them to be on the same vlan too.
>
> Yes, but the mission is just to see which webserver is "better" in terms of performance.

"better" in terms of what KIDN of performance? Serving web pages to real users or serving a completely artificial set of non-real world users with a completely artificial set of non-real world pages?

If this is simply an epeen contest then it's pretty worthless and no one is lily to be very interested.

> So, I should be more specific with my question:  to the end of determining strictly which webserver is more efficient do you see any problems with this type of setup?

More 'efficient' I think you mean.

> And another question: how would you do it differently?  Sure, in an ideal world I could assemble my own botnet and then blast my corporate network with a gigabit of distributed traffic multiple times for each webserver -- but obviously in the real world that's not going to happen.

The question you have to ask yourself is what are you wanting to test? A completely artificial metric with no real-world correlation? If so, then you're on the right track.

--
I love as only I can, with all my heart