Re: Apache vs LiteSpeed

On Jan 15, 2010, at 10:45 AM, Tom Evans wrote:

On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 4:29 PM, Jarrod Slick <jarrod@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx > wrote:
I'm curious -- why do you think that the results will be inconsistent? If anything I would be inclined to think that using localhost would improve consistency as extraneous variables like network congestion at the time of
testing would not be present.

There is no way you can fully load a webserver using a single instance
of a testing tool running on the same box. For starters, the testing
tool will end up consuming more CPU than the webserver, invalidating
your test results.

For a followup point, I would think that you would need multiple
instances of the testing tool, running on multiple boxes, to fully
load a server.

Certainly, you would need multiple instances of ab (which is what
LiteSpeed used to do their tests), as ab is not particularly good. A
better tool is Apache flood, or siege, either of which will stress the
server much harder than ab.

Network congestion/latencies could also affect the test result, which
is why you would run these tests multiple times, using a dedicated
switch (ie not connected to anything else).

Cheers

Tom

What about having a private VLAN between a testing machine and the apache machine. I suppose that would solve the resource separation problem between the benchmarking tool and the web server. Can you think of any problems with this type of setup?