Re: Memory / Process leak

On 20/11/2009, at 18:21 , Nick Kew wrote:

> On 20 Nov 2009, at 09:59, Peter N Lewis wrote:

> You mentioned slicehost.  I have a slice, and I see a problem there which
> I see nowhere else of apache eating obscene amounts of memory.
> I don't know why, but my suspicion is that it doesn't play well with
> their virtualised environment.
>
> My current dirty-hack workaround is to run apachectl graceful in a cron job.

Maybe I'll end up having to do that too.  I was certainly hoping for a better solution.

>> I already have:
>>
>>   MaxRequestsPerChild   1000
>
> That's ridiculously low!

I added that in an effort to get the processes to quit and release the memory.  If anything, it appears to have improved the situation, but the problem was around before that.
Besides, my site only gets a request per second on average, so it should only be restarting them every fifteen minutes or so, which should hardly put undo strain on the system!

On 20/11/2009, at 21:08 , Dan Poirier wrote:
>>>   MaxRequestsPerChild   1000
>>
>> That's ridiculously low!
>
> Which might be part of the problem.  After only handling 1000 requests,
> a child process will /start/ to exit - but it can't really go away until
> all its current requests have completed.  So if this is happening too
> often, you can end up with a lot of "extra" child processes waiting for
> requests to complete, and tying up memory.

Sure, but unless I was having 1000 requests per second what would it matter?  Even if it took a minute to die, it should still have long since died before its replacement was ready to die, right?

If things were working properly that is.  Maybe they aren't dieing properly.

Thanks,
   Peter.

--
     Clipboard Switching and Macros with Keyboard Maestro

Keyboard Maestro <http://www.keyboardmaestro.com/> Macros for your Mac
<http://www.stairways.com/>           <http://download.stairways.com/>