Re: NameVirtualHost: Questions on proper usage

On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 10:33 PM, Nick Kew <nick@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Tim Legg wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am wanting to clean up my Apache 2.2.9 (Debian Package) installation
>> after modifying it to virtual host 7 domains in order to make it more
>> robust, understandable, secure and maintainable.  I want to have one of
>> these sites being a SSL site.
>>
>> -----
>>
>> I have read the section on NameVirtualHost,
>> http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/mod/core.html#namevirtualhost
>>
>> * Does NameVirtualHost get used in every entry in
>> /etc/apache2/sites-available/ ?  Is it redundant to include that declaration
>> in all the others as well?
>
> sites-available is a debianism designed to confuse.

I find it actually a quite usefull feature. Allows me to quickly
enable/disable virtual servers.

> You should only have one NameVirtualHost (for any IP:port).
> It goes before any of the virtualhost definitions.

The way I did it is to have a "000_default" in my sites-available,
that's always enabled (linked in sites-enabled).
In this file I have the NameVirtualHost directive, and the default,
catch-all, virtual host.

The other virtual hosts config files don't have the NameVirtualHost directive.

Krist

--
krist.vanbesien@xxxxxxxxx
krist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx