ProxyPass gets "stuck" in a VirtualHost

Hello folks,

I'm running into an odd problem, and I'm just about at the point of RTFS for it, but I'm hoping that someone can lend a hand.

I have a collection of machines with identical installations of Apache, each with a couple of dozen VirtualHosts. The specific problem I'm facing is that there is one VirtualHost (vhosta) that needs to ProxyPass to another VirtualHost, which I'm doing like this:

    ProxyPass /catalog https://vhostb.activestate.com/json/catalog
    ProxyPassReverse /catalog https://vhostb.activestate.com/json/catalog

This is in an SSL-enabled vhost, needless to say.

The effect it's having is that I get a 404 and an entry in vhosta's error_log that it can't find /path/to/vhosta/htdocs/json/catalog.

I've tried substituting other local vhosts into the destination to roughly the same effect, but strangely if I substitute Google in I get an error message from Google, suggesting that it's working differently. This leads me to think it's something to do with canonicalisation of the URL or address (the vhosts in question share an IP, and a reverse DNS lookup of the IP in question gives vhosta). Using the nocanon argument to ProxyPass doesn't seem to help, though.

Does this sound familiar to anyone, or better yet, has anyone found a solution for this? I'll be happy to give any further details required if this turns out to be a bug of some flavour (though I would imagine someone else would have run into it long ago if that were the case).

Cheers,

kjw