Re: creating a proxy

hi andre

sorry for this late reply.
Your analysis is not correct. I am not trying to bypass a corporate
proxy . I work independently and I have no restriction to my web
access either at work or at home.

In fact I had the opposite problem to solve during my vacations:
trying to access my server from an hotel with a web based SSH gateway
but this is another story.

During my search, I found the following article and I tried to improve
my understanding of apache by reproducing what is described in it.
(http://www.math.polytechnique.fr/spip.php?rubrique78)

Apparently the laboratory subscribed to on-line periodicals which use
IP address to grant access to their customers.
To provide remote access to their employees, the laboratory uses SSH +
proxy : the laboratory IP address is provided to the periodical's
server.

I am not sure however that the laboratory was using apache for that
and I did not succeed to do it myself.

I obtained the same result by setting up a SOCKS proxy as described in
the following article
http://embraceubuntu.com/2006/12/08/ssh-tunnel-socks-proxy-forwarding-secure-browsing/

It has nothing to do with apache but it is quite useful to secure
browsing from a public hotspot.

thanks

etienne