Re: Apache suddenly stops serving requests, recv() returns -1/errno=EAGAIN forever

On Wed, 2009-06-24 at 08:09 -0500, Elmar Krieger wrote:
> >> Dear Apache users,
> >>
> >> I'm forced to write yet another program that downloads HTTP files from
> >> an
> >> Apache server,
> > Naive question : why would you do that, when there are probably at least
> > 10 existing libraries/utilities that already do that, and do it right ?
> >
> > I mean that downloading a file from a webserver is not just a matter of
> > opening a socket and reading bytes from it. There are such things as
> > status codes, HTTP headers, encoding, transfer-encoding, etc..
> > Do you really want to re-invent the wheel ?
>
> I did of course start with code from the web, but that was not reliable
> enough. For example the download routines of Firefox and Safari are not
> satisfactory, because they also hang forever occasionally, and don't
> automatically restart the transfer with a new request. I need it 100%
> fool-proof.
>
> Anyway, could you point me to the most reliable public domain (not GNU
> GPL) library you know, that compiles in Linux, Windows and MacOSX? Then I
> can compare the code..
>
> And any idea under which circumstances a recv() from a socket connection
> to Apache can report -1/errno=EAGAIN for an hour without progress would
> still be appreciated. It's a server side problem, because it happens from
> clients all over the world ;-)
>
> Thanks for your help,
> Elmar

I can download all sorts of large files from apache, it truly Works For
Me, so this certainly sounds like a naive client app rather than a
server side bug.

Any reason why you aren't using curl/libcurl/wget/libfetch? When there
are BSD licensed wheels out there, don't design your own..

Eg:
http://curl.haxx.se/ (MIT)
http://curl.haxx.se/libcurl/ (MIT)
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/lib/libfetch/ (BSD)

Curl has a list of the FOSS http libraries:
http://curl.haxx.se/libcurl/competitors.html

HTH

Tom