Re: Server-Variables in CondPattern of RewriteCond directive

On Wed, 2009-04-22 at 23:22 +0800, Basil Mohamed Gohar wrote:
> On 04/22/2009 11:11 PM, Tom Evans wrote:

> >> Thanks.  It's quite simple, actually.  What I want to do is direct all
> >> domains that fall under a virtualhost which has many server aliases to
> >> one canonical domain.
> >>
> >> So, for example, if my canonical name is www.example.com, and someone
> >> accesses example.com or example.net (all of which are aliases in
> >> VirtualHost block), I want a redirect to be issued pointing to the
> >> canonical ServerName value (www.example.com).  Since this is already
> >> stored in %{SERVER_NAME}, I thought it would be best to use it, because
> >> I have this kind of behavior on many, but not all, VirtualHosts.  It
> >> would save me a lot of time.
> >>

> > RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST}  !^(www.foo.com)$
> > RewriteRule ^/(.*)        http://www.foo.com/$1 [R=301,L]
> >
> > This is an FAQ iirc?
> >
> > http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/rewrite/rewrite_guide.html#canonicalhost
> >
> > HTH
> >
> > Tom
> >
> Writing it by hand for all the different VirtualHosts is what I was
> trying to avoid.  Doing it with variables was the goal, and it seems
> that is not possible.  I've been writing it by hand for years now.  ;)

Ah yes, that is different. I actually wrote a module to manage this for
my servers (the canonical rewrite rule doesn't work in certain edge
cases), it doesn't detect it automatically based upon the vhosts
ServerName (it uses a directive), but that should certainly be possible.
Let me have a look this evening...

Cheers

Tom