Re: Re: Help - Name Server - Maybe

Michael Rogers wrote:
André Warnier <mailto:aw@xxxxxxxxxx>! you said "Well actually, I was asking the question because I already gave you the answer in a previous post. So make an effort and read it this time :" There are several very nice people trying their best to help me, so I may have missed what you had said or I tried what you said and it didn't work. I also have some medical problems here that interfere with my concentration. I really don't need the snappy remarks! I'll take this time here to say thanks to the others that are trying to help me! After this I may just unsubscribe from this forum.

Don't worry about it... just let us know when you resolve the issue and wha the fix was. It may help someone else.

    *From:* André Warnier <mailto:aw@xxxxxxxxxx>
    *Sent:* Monday, February 02, 2009 1:19 PM
    *To:* users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
    *Subject:* Re:  Re: Help - Name Server - Maybe

    Michael Rogers wrote:
    > That why I am asking the questions!  If I know I might be able
    to make it work.

    Well actually, I was asking the question because I already gave
    you the
    answer in a previous post. So make an effort and read it this time :

    quote
    I) computers work with IP addresses, not with names.  That may
    surprise
    you, but it is so.
    When you tell your browser to get "www.google.com
    <http://www.google.com>" :
    - it first looks in its own local "hosts" file to see if there is a
    translation for "www.google.com <http://www.google.com>" into an
    IP address like 1.2.3.4
    The local hosts file can be found :
    under Unix/Linux, in /etc/hosts
    under Windows, in windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
    - if the local hosts file does not provide a translation, then your
    browser asks "the DNS system".  That is something complicated, but
    basically it means that it will need the IP address of another
    computer
    known as a DNS Server, and it will send a message to that IP address,
    asking for the IP address of "www.google.com <http://www.google.com>"
    - if the browser cannot find finally an IP address for
    www.google.com <http://www.google.com>
    with any of the above, it gives up and tells you so.
    unquote

    So, when one of your internal workstations is told to access
    "http://www.michaelrogers.com";, it will do like it is explained above.
    And, for the IP address of "www.michaelrogers.com
    <http://www.michaelrogers.com>", you want your
    internal workstations to obtain the internal IP address 10.0.0.115,
    because you don't want them to try some Internet address out
    there, when
    the Apache server is right under their nose at the IP adress
    10.0.0.115,
    right ?
    So you have 2 choices in order to obtain that :
    - either you have an internal DNS server, that could respond to the
    enquiries of your internal workstations, and give them
    "10.0.0.115" as
    response to the question : what is the IP address of
    www.michaelrogers.com <http://www.michaelrogers.com>" ?
    - or, you add a line into each local workstation's "hosts" file like :
    10.0.0.115 www.michaelrogers.com <http://www.michaelrogers.com>

    The second one is the easiest to do, if you only have a few internal
    workstations.
    Try it.

Michael S. Rogers
(406) 967-2385