Re: Re: Help - Name Server - Maybe

I don't know how you are getting the .com name to resolve to 66.133.46.108 as that is my modem, I can't get it do do that.  I tried disabling the DHCP on the computer that is acting as server, and did switch to static IP in the TCP/IP settings, but then I couldn't access the internet with any of my three computers.

My ISP said that the problem was in my router, and that I had to do what they called IP mapping.

Sent: Sunday, February 01, 2009 2:27 AM
Subject: Re: Help - Name Server - Maybe

Michael Rogers wrote:
> Okay:

> The .net is served by a name server on the east cost and is associated
> with Domain servers in listed order: NS1.IPOWERDNS.COM and
> NS1.IPOWERWEB.NET.

> The .com is served by a name server some where in Montana and shows as
> Domain servers in listed order: SMOKEY.MONTANAVISION.NET and
> NS2.MONTANAVISION.NET.

> Nothing is served by a computer on my net work.

By "served" I mean the computer which is running Apache, serving pages.

> The 66.113.46.108 is the IP address of my modem setting here near my
> desk.  I don't know what the 66.96.130.11 is, could be ipower, as they
> are hosting the .net  How did you come to your IP address conclusion?

By querying my ISP's DNS servers. You can see what an IP address
resolves to by pinging it from the commandline. Since the
michaelsrogers.com domain name is correctly resolving to your IP
address, 66.113.46.108, there is no problem at all with the nameservers.
The problem is the router and computer on your end which are supposed to
be serving pages.
> I tried the port forwarding but that creates another problem.  each time
> that I restart my computer it changes the IP of the computer

Instead of using DHCP ("obtain an IP address automatically") switch to a
static-IP address ("use the following IP address"), which never changes.
The procedure is different depending on which operating system you are
using and what subnet your router expects your IP addresses to be in. It
is configured from the TCP/IP settings for your network adapter.

Cheers,
Nicholas Sherlock