Re: Re: Help - Name Server - Maybe

Mt router is a linksys WRT54G.
From: Razi Khaja
Sent: Sunday, February 01, 2009 1:33 PM
Subject: Re: Re: Help - Name Server - Maybe

I don't know how you are getting the .com name to resolve to 66.133.46.108 as that is my modem, I can't get it do do that.  I tried disabling the DHCP on the computer that is acting as server, and did switch to static IP in the TCP/IP settings, but then I couldn't access the internet with any of my three computers.

www.michaelsrogers.com resolves to 66.133.46.108 for me as well.  The fact that this is your modem is a good thing.  This means that when people request a page from www.michaelsrogers.com the requests get up to your modem.  Now all you have to figure out is how to get them from your modem, through your router and into the computer running the apache web server.

Nicholas mentions port forwarding. An alternative is to set the DMZ on your router to point to the IP address of your computer running apache (I beleive you mentioned that this was 10.0.0.101).  Port forwarding is more secure, but setting a DMZ is easier.

Doing port forwarding or setting a DMZ will solve the issue of external access to www.michaelsrogers.com. It may or may not solve the issue of internal access.

What is the manufacterer and model number of your router? It might be easier to help you if we knew this.

My ISP said that the problem was in my router, and that I had to do what they called IP mapping.

They are right its a configuration issue with your router.  I think they mean port forwarding.
Michael S. Rogers
(406) 967-2385

Web Sites: http://www.michaelsrogers.net & http://www.michaelsrogers.net/trainwreck/Wreck.html