Re: RewriteMap question

On Wed, 4 Jun 2008 13:04:42 -0400
"Joshua Slive" <joshua@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Just use a dbm rewritemap. These will be fast and scalable and don't
> suffer from all the prg map problems.

ok - I think that's the road I'll try to take - couple quick
questions:

1. if you update a dbm map file do you need to reload anything or
will the apache rewrite module pull in the changes on the fly?

2. I see a script on the doc page to create a dbm map using perl -
know of any php equiv?  google's not showing anything.  I have nothing
against perl, just looking to keep everything in the same software.

3. The text file format appears to use spaces to separate the map
items.  If either of these contains a space assume can URL encode?
E.g.

stupid%20url stupid-url

> I haven't tried it, but if you just point directly at the php
> script, then if the script emits a Location header with the
> hostname/protocol part, you might get an internal redirect.

Interesting, apache 2 only?  Think I'll steer clear of this for
now.  ;)

> I don't know why .htaccess files would matter.

Since this feature for URL rewrites is enabled via the CMS for a
site, I don't want to have to play with httpd.conf so if a RewriteMap
directive could be entered into a .htaccess it'll make my life a lot
easier.  Looking at the docs though it appears I'm not able to use
this in .htaccess "Context: server config, virtual host".

Thanks for you help - are you on #apache IRC?

Josh