Re: RewriteMap question

On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 12:00 PM, Josh Trutwin <josh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> We have a RewriteMap program that is kicked off via the following:
>
> RewriteMap smc_rewriter prg:/usr/share/php/rewriter.php
>
> This works well most of the time, but for heavy use it really can bog
> down as there is always only one of these programs running to handle
> all the requests.
>
> Is it possible to start multiple instances of this program?

No, not directly.

A few possibilities:

1. Try to do whatever you are doing without an prg: rewritemap. These
should really be a last resort for problems that are too complicated
to solve in any other way. Of course, since we don't have any details
of the problem, we can't help there.

2. Call a php script directly to issue the redirect, rather than going
through mod_rewrite.

3. Have mod_rewrite split the request into several different paths and
use an independent rewritemap for each path. This could be as simple
as
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} ^[a-n]
RewriteRule ... using map 1 [L]
RewriteRule ... using map 2