Re: RewriteMap question

On Wed, 4 Jun 2008 12:08:28 -0400
"Joshua Slive" <joshua@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > Is it possible to start multiple instances of this program?
>
> No, not directly.
>
> A few possibilities:
>
> 1. Try to do whatever you are doing without an prg: rewritemap.
> These should really be a last resort for problems that are too
> complicated to solve in any other way. Of course, since we don't
> have any details of the problem, we can't help there.

Actually this is an issue you helped me with quite a while ago.  I
started without a rewrite map program and generated an htaccess file
with rules to redirect our CMS's old URL's which looked like
sitepages/pidXXX.php to a user-defined URL.  The .htaccess files grew
extremely large for some sites so switched to a rewrite map program.
Largest site I know of would have over 30k rules.  Is there a
better solution for that kind of URL mapping size?

Original thread:

http://markmail.org/message/b6ye2ww4dcjand2k#query:trutwin%20rewritemap%20questions+page:1+mid:rnxk5lx5ej6gjvjt+state:results

> 2. Call a php script directly to issue the redirect, rather than
> going through mod_rewrite.

I don't understand - can you explain?

> 3. Have mod_rewrite split the request into several different paths
> and use an independent rewritemap for each path. This could be as
> simple as
> RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} ^[a-n]
> RewriteRule ... using map 1 [L]
> RewriteRule ... using map 2

This is a possibility assuming RewriteMap can be loaded from htaccess
file - I currently have two rules that use the mapper for each but
I'm not sure that will help much. The mapper itself needs a little
optimization but there's not a whole lot I can do there.

Josh