Re: external access error

Sounds like you. Installed apache as a service and haven't uninstalled it completely.

Just goto start,run
Type services.msc
Hit enter
Locate apache service and double check the location of the apache.exe

Generally you should crystal clear where the conf files are
Httpd.conf
Php.ini
My.cnf
Etc...
After an install, so you don't get confused. Then document what you do to them in another file.

Also check you system and user PATH

Control panel
System
Environmental vars

It could be that the old conf is picked up first.

Just be thorough in your install and cleaning, technically nothing needs installing or registry changes in order to run a amp stack on win32