Route requests to a remote server back to self?

Hi all,

I have a dev server for a site that I maintain, running Apache 2.0.52/Linux. I
would like to be able to route requests from the dev server to files on
production back to dev so that I can consolidate config files on both servers
and do pushes to production more easily. Production is on a different box
entirely; they are not VirtualHosts on the same server.

When http://server.tld/file.html is requested by pages on dev, I would like
for Apache to serve http://dev.server.tld/file.html instead, effectively
faking out the dev server into thinking that it is production.

Do I need to set up a proxy for this? A reverse proxy? mod_rewrite?
mod_proxy_html looks like it can do part of what I need (replacing URLs
within the HTML/stylesheets/scripts), but I have not been able to get it to
work so far. Can it work without a reverse proxy scenario, or will I need to
use something else?

Thanks!
TH