Re: url redirection

On Sat, Mar 29, 2008 at 6:41 AM, Melanie Pfefer
<melanie_pfefer@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello again,
>
>  I read the document and I did not get the correlation
>  with my case.
>
>  you said
>
> > the case. You can check that simply by looking at
>  > the source code of
>  > the content sent back to your browser and see if it
>  > makes sense in the
>  > context of the current URL.
>  >

>  All I can say is that if I use [R=301,L], the rewrite
>  works perfectly.
>
>  If I use [P,L], the forwarding does not work: 2 frames
>  are indeed displayed but the pages are not. These 2
>  pages are jsp and they are not displayed because they
>  are fetched in apache while they should be fetched
>  from the tomcat webapps. Is this what you meant by
>  "broken links"?
>
>  Can you please also clarify what you want me to check?

I'll try to be more explicit.

Say that http://backend/ has a page called index.html. In that page,
there is an embedded frame that is referenced as /frame1.html. When
you do a redirect, the browser makes a request for
http://backend/index.html and sees the frame link and requests it as
http://backend/frame1.html.

If you do a proxy, the client requests http://proxy/backend/index.html
and the proxy then requests http://backend/index.html. What it send
back to the client still references /frame1.html, and the client
resolves that relative to the URL that IT requested. Therefore it
sends a new request for http://proxy/frame1.html. Obviously this URL
doesn't exist (it should be http://proxy/backend/frame1.html) and
therefore the frameset doesn't display properly.

If this is indeed the problem (and you verify that simply by looking
at the content that is sent back and understanding how the browser
resolves relative references), then it can be fixed with proper
configuration of mod_proxy_html as explained in that article.

Joshua.