Re: gzip compression only working with SSL

Hi,

The Request contains the line:

Accept-Encoding: gzip, deflate

Yet the response doesn't have the Content-Encoding: gzip line.

I tried disabling SSL altogether but the the compression still did not work. I will send on my config files when I get home.

Cheers
Graeme

On 12/09/2007, Boyle Owen <Owen.Boyle@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> [...]

Compression and SSL are orthogonal -  that is, they've nothing to do
with each other and shouldn't interfere. So it sounds like a spurious
correlation. What's really the problem is that you have two VHs, one of
which is configured correctly for compression and the other that isn't.

To test, switch off SSL in the SSL-VH (just comment out all SSL
directives and then connect via http on the same port, eg 443). Do you
still get compression?

To investigate, look at the request and response headers (eg, with
liveHTTPHeaders in Firefox). Do they make sense?

To fix, double-check the config; are you sure mod_deflate is configured
the same in both VHs? Also, check content and clients - remember that a
client can refuse to accept compressed content and that some contents
are never compressed (eg, JPG)..

If you don't fix it, post back some config snippets.

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

> Any help would much appreciated as I have tried everything I
> can think of.
>
> Cheers
> Graeme Walker

This message is for the named person's use only. It may contain confidential, proprietary or legally privileged information. No confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost by any mistransmission. If you receive this message in error, please notify the sender urgently and then immediately delete the message and any copies of it from your system. Please also immediately destroy any hardcopies of the message. You must not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this message if you are not the intended recipient. The sender's company reserves the right to monitor all e-mail communications through their networks. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the message states otherwise and the sender is authorised to state them to be the views of the sender's company.