RE: gzip compression only working with SSL

Good.

> Yet the response doesn't have the Content-Encoding: gzip line.
>
> I tried disabling SSL altogether but the the compression
> still did not work.

You mis-understand. My conjecture is that SSL has nothing to do with
your problem. To prove this conjecture, I asked you to switch off SSL in
the SSL VH and then show that compression *still* works in that VH, even
with SSL off.

If you can demonstrate this, then you can forget about SSL and
concentrate on fixing the mod_gzip config problem...

Rgds,
Owen Boyle