Re: Re: Apache spawns hundreds of processes, logging problem?

On 13/08/07, meer <s.komendera@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:> Vincent Bray napisał(a):> > What are you using for the log rotation? In case it's a disk error,> > check your /var/log/messages for the time the problem's occuring?>> Apache logs are rotated by system's logrotate daemon and there are no> interesting entries in /var/log/messages.
logrotate typically sends the server -HUP, meaning 'restart', ratherthan -USR1 meaning 'gracefully restart'. The difference being that theformer kills existing connections and the later doesn't. In both casesthe parent process isn't restarted. However it isn't clear that thisissue has anything to do with log rotation.. Does the problem happenwhile the logs are being rotated?
Assuming that the restart is failing somehow, try watching the blockedprocesses using strace, or your system's equivalent.
http://httpd.apache.org/dev/debugging.html
> To be completely honest, I don't really know what to do in this> situation... the system was always fully functional and now It acts like> this. I applied an connlimit to the firewall but it didn't work also.
What gave you the impression that the processes were blocked waitingon the logging phase? Can you post strace output?
-- noodl